The 1% rule states that within an internet community only 1% of the users of a website add content, while the other 99% of the participants only lurk. Another variant of this law is 90-9-1 rule which states that in a collaborative website such as a wiki, 90% of the participants of a community only consume content, 9% of the participants change or update content, and 1% of the participants add content. – Link
The broken windows theory is a criminological theory that states that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior, and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes. Social psychologists and police officers tend to agree that if a window in a building is broken and is left unrepaired, all the rest of the windows will soon be broken. This is as true in nice neighborhoods as in rundown ones. This theory has been applied to software development, suggesting that poor quality code (or Technical Debt) can lead to a perception that efforts to improve quality may be ignored or undervalued, thus leading to further poor quality code. This effect cascades leading to a great decrease in quality over time. – Link
Continue reading “Useful Laws For Software Developers”
Welcome to the fourth post of lessons I learnt (LIL) series. I had a busy last week where I was trying to manage multiple things at the same time. I am not good at multitasking so at times during the last week it became stressful and difficult to keep check on all the items on my plate. But, with patience and better planning I manage to get things done. There are two lessons that I want to share this week. They help me scale better and get things done.
Continue reading “LIL #4 : Lessons I Learnt This Week”
Welcome to the third post of lessons I learnt(LIL) series. I had a good week and I am content with what I achieved. Telling yourself repeatedly that life is not a race and you can take your time and be at peace with yourself is a powerful feeling. There were two thoughts that repeatedly came to my mind this week that I wanted to share with you this week.
Continue reading “LIL #3: Lessons I Learnt This Week”
Welcome to the second post of lessons I learnt(LIL) series. This week I went from being stressed, to meh, to content, and finally to the state of happiness. It is immensely powerful to know your feelings so that you can take corrective actions if required. Each week give us an opportunity to correct ourselves, learn from our mistakes, and brings a ray of hope that we can do better.
I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. – Dalai Lama
This week I only have one lesson to share with you. I thought multiple times about in the last one week and I think if we can master it we can build great teams.
Continue reading “LIL #2: Lessons I Learnt This Week”
I have a habit of writing daily journal where in I go over my day and write any life lessons I learnt (LIL) that day. This helps me build useful mental models on how to better handle specific situations in future. From this week, I plan to document and share these learning on my blog. I hope others will also find them useful.
This week I learnt following three lessons.
Continue reading “LIL #1: Lessons I Learnt This Week”