This week I finished reading A Philosophy of Software Design book by John Ousterhout. I found the book easy to read and moderately thought provoking.
The book talks about two approaches to reduce complexity of software systems – 1) embracing simplicity 2) embracing modular design.
Complexity is anything related to the structure of a software system that makes it hard to understand and modify the system.
We know we are working with a complex software system when:
Continue reading “My Notes on the “A Philosophy of Software Design” Book”
Most software companies have to make decisions on whether to build a custom software or buy it from a vendor. Some of these decisions are mentioned below.
Continue reading “Questions to ask when making Build versus Buy decision”
- Should we build the recruitment tracking system or buy it?
- Should we build a custom video KYC solution or buy an existing one?
- Should we build a custom CRM or buy it?
- Should we build a custom CMS or buy it?
- Should we run your own CI server or use a cloud service like CircleCI?
- Should we build our search engine using Solr or Elastic search or use a service like Algolia?