Welcome to the 41st edition of my newsletter. I will be publishing this newsletter monthly now instead of weekly.
The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Posts I read this month
- STOP!! You don’t need Microservices. 15 mins read.
- Why Kafka Is so Fast. 25 mins read.
- Everything We Learned Running Istio In Production. 15 mins read.
- What’s so hard about PDF text extraction? – 20 mins read.
- Please stop recommending Git Flow! 15 mins read.
- Top Economists Study What Happens When You Stop Using Facebook. 10 mins read.
- Java 14 Arrives with a Host of New Features. 10 mins read.
- Advanced usage of Python requests – timeouts, retries, hooks. 15 mins read.
- Rewriting the heart of our sync engine. 20 mins read.
- Why Is Facebook Not in the Cloud Business?. 10 mins read.
- Lies, Damned Lies, and Averages: Perc50, Perc95 explained for Programmers. 10 mins read.
- Prefetch Caching of eBay Items. 15 mins read.
- PostgreSQL is the worlds’ best database. 10 mins read.
- How to model one-to-many relationships in DynamoDB. 20 mins read.
- Things I Wished More Developers Knew About Databases. 30 mins read.
- Patterns for Managing Source Code Branches. 30 mins read.
- Immutable Infrastructure. 25 mins read.
- Building a more accurate time service at Facebook scale. 20 mins read.
- Building Documentation Sites with the JAMstack. 10 mins read.
Blogs I published this month
This month I published 4 posts.
- 25 Lessons I Learned Doing Consulting Assignments – Link
- Architecture Hoisting – Link
- Software Architecture Diagrams as Code – Link
- Spring Boot Angular 7/8/9 Server Side Pagination Tutorial – Link
Tools I discovered this month
Papers I read this month
- Characterizing, Modeling, and Benchmarking RocksDB Key-Value Workloads at Facebook – Link
Videos I watched this month
Video 1: Monolith Decomposition Patterns – Watch Time: 43 mins 56 seconds
Video 2: Copyrighting all the melodies to avoid accidental infringement – Watch Time: 17 mins 57 seconds
Video 3: How I made a basketball hoop that always goes in – Watch Time: 21 mins 6 seconds